We are an award-winning multidisciplinary law firm with an exceptional track record offering a wide range of specialist legal services to our clients, from medium-sized businesses and NGOs, to public figures and private individuals. Ranked as a top-tier firm by the legal directories, some of the most brilliant lawyers in the country work at Bindmans.
Our Finance department is looking to recruit a Civil Billing Coordinator. The focus for this role is working with the Finance Team, assisting fee earners across the firm in converting work in progress into bills, and processing bills accurately and promptly.
The role will allow for progression within the billing team, with all training provided by skilled professionals in this area.
Overview of key responsibilities
- Drafting and processing Interim and Final Certificated claims for submission to the LAA and drafting bills following Assessment of Claims.
- Drafting and submitting Interim and Final Claims for matters under the Legal Help scheme and drafting bills following Assessment of Claims.
- Administrating High Costs Cases.
- Following assessment of claims, when necessary, liaising with fee earners to determine whether the assessment will be appealed and ensuring that any such appeals are submitted within the time limits allowed.
- Coordinating Inter-parte Bill of Costs and drafting bills following settlement.
- Maintaining detailed electronic records of all claims on the bills tracker to support cash flow forecasting and budgeting.
- Attending monthly billing meetings with fee earners to review WIP, the progress of files currently being processed by the billing team and ‘housekeeping’ (in line with the policies of the firm) such as:
- Time transfersRate changesWIP write offsBilling write offsFile closuresDisbursement transfers or write offsAmending client records as needed
- Assessing fees received vs. targets with each fee earner.
- Ensuring any tasks following billing meetings are dealt with promptly.
- Posting bills on the firm’s case management system, accurately allocating costs to fee earners and charging the appropriate timelines and disbursements.
- Maintaining efficient and effective filing systems of claim and related documentation.
- Dealing with queries from fee earners across the firm, and supporting them in the preparation and delivery of bills.
- Working with the Accounts Assistant to check payment remittances from the LAA and other public funding bodies for accuracy.
- Working with Legal Cashier to process invoices from counsel, experts and other providers of service for the firm, ensuring that invoices are authorised by the appropriate fee earner and are accurately referenced.
- Assisting with the preparation of interim and final bills for privately funded matters, if required.
- Closing completed matters and processing them in order that they can be archived.
- Assisting with preparation of training and guidance materials for fee earners and team members.
- Assisting in the monthly preparation and distribution of financial and other management reports for fee earners.
- Processing rate changes on private matters as directed.
- Assisting other team members to post accurate bills, journals, WIP/Disbursement write offs, time transfers and receipts to the firm’s accounting system, also maintaining ledger compliance including investigating balances, closing finished matters and ensuring that all monies received are apportioned accurately and in a timely manner.
- Assisting, when required, with crime billing and providing cover for the billing team/finance team.
- Assisting with the firm’s yearly audit.
- Compliant with SAR, LAA, LEXCEL or other external agencies.
Experience and education
- A keen interest in the legal profession.
Skills and abilities
- Ability to work effectively and respond well under pressure.
- Organised and efficient.
- Strong communication and customer service skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- High degree of numeracy.
- Strong IT skills.
Personal qualities and attributes
- Friendly and approachable with a professional manner.
- Flexible, co-operative and supportive team player.
- Enthusiastic and confident and able to work with a wide range of people.
Equal Opportunities and Diversity
Bindmans LLP is an equal opportunities employer, committed to increasing diversity in our firm and our wider profession. Applications from candidates who are BME, have a disability or who are from a less privileged background are particularly encouraged.
How to apply
Please view the role’s job description and person specification in the downloadable files.
If you are interested in applying, please send an up-to-date CV together with a covering letter in support by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the vacancy reference number.
STRICTLY NO AGENCY APPLICATIONS.