We empower people to defend and champion the natural world. Animal welfare and the protection of the environment is fundamental to any society which aspires to promote compassion, minimise cruelty and regulate abuses of power.
We work with organisations that share our principles to help make a positive impact on the environment and the animals that inhabit it. Activists and campaigners can rely on us to uphold their rights to speak out.
When the environment and the animals that inhabit it are under threat, we are the solicitors firm that campaigners, activists and animal welfare organisations turn to.
They’re very strategic, but without compromising the interests of individual clients.Chambers and Partners
Legal issues concerning wildlife and the environment can occur as a result of decisions made by local public authorities or national legislation. The decisions of public bodies can seriously impact animals and the environment, including:
- Policy decisions, regarding animal culling, airport management and airspace design
- Granting planning permission
- Designation and protection of green belt land and areas of outstanding beauty
- Regulation of industries that impact wildlife, the environment and our climate
- Animal testing and experiments
- Investigations concerning animal cruelty
- Zoo licensing
- Wildlife management
Our animal and environmental law solicitors empower clients to engage with public bodies on these issues and, when necessary, we can challenge local and national decisions. We can help ensure that authorities are serious about their responsibility to protect the environment and safeguard animal welfare.
We work with organisations that share the same principles as us. Our environmental and animal law solicitors have advised animal protection organisations in potential and actual prosecutions against bodies responsible for inflicting cruelty on animals.
We defend those who defend the natural world.
Individuals on the frontline of animal and environmental campaigns can be charged with offences arising from actions intended to protect the environment or save the lives of animals. We have a long history of successfully acting in criminal proceedings. We have similarly advised animal protection organisations in potential and actual prosecutions against bodies responsible for inflicting cruelty on animals. Our skilled team can also help when protestors face employment issues as a direct result of their alleged offence.
Evidence to support pro-wildlife and environmental campaigns is not always readily available. We have the legal know-how to help those seeking to gather intelligence. We have a proven record in dealing effectively with freedom of information and data-saving requests. Our environmental and animal law team enable our clients to confront or expose issues concerning animals and the environment so that they can make a positive impact on the natural world.
Our work in this area is extensive and cutting edge. It includes the following:
- Numerous legal challenges concerning badger culls in both England and Wales, before the Court of Appeal, the Administrative Court and the Information Rights Tribunal
- Attempts to charge organisations arranging peaceful protests concerning environmental matters
- The defence of individuals involved in campaigns in opposition to vivisection, animal experimentation, hunting, the fur trade, culls and other programmes that endanger animals
- Acting for campaigners in appeals against historic convictions, where it has transpired more latterly that their groups had been infiltrated by undercover police officers
- Advising animal protection organisations in potential and actual prosecutions against bodies responsible for inflicting cruelty on animals
- Causes concerning the right to manifest religious beliefs versus public health concerns around bovine TB
- Pre-publication libel advice, general advice and training in relation to libel risks for publishers, reputation management and privacy law
- Advising in relation to restrictions on political advertising, including the 2014 ‘Gagging Laws’
- Advising clients on using Data Protection law in their campaigns
- Representing the well-known animal rights activist and author, Joe Hashman, in his successful philosophical belief discrimination test case
- Representing an employee who had been dismissed for rescuing an abandoned puppy whilst at work
Past and current groups we have assisted include Badger Trust, Humane Society International, Greenpeace, Compassion in World Farming, RSPCA, Animal Aid, Animal Defence International, Secret World Wildlife Rescue, Save The Beaver, C.A.R.I.A.D. and landowners against culling.
What others say
They’re very strategic, but without compromising the interests of individual clients.Chambers and Partners 2017
Established administrative and public law team advising claimants in cases ranging from access to justice to animal welfare. Leads the way on challenges to public policy and law, including right to die and legal aid reform. Also handles public contracting issues and public law disputes brought on the ground of equality.Chambers and Partners 2016
They are capable of being political in some of their actions and are willing to take an issue as wide as it needs to go.Chambers and Partners 2016
They are tenacious in that they fight very hard on behalf of their client.Chambers and Partners 2016
The ‘stellar’ practice at Bindmans LLP is lauded for its ‘cutting-edge, top-class claimant work’. Clients praise its ‘fearless litigators’ and ‘unmatched depth of knowledge and experience’.Legal 500 2014