Anna is a solicitor in our Crime, Fraud and Regulatory team.
Anna has a breadth of experience in the field of criminal defence, representing individuals at all stages of proceedings, from the police station through to courtroom advocacy, in addition to complex criminal litigation. Anna is routinely instructed by professionals such as pilots, teachers, medical professionals, and high-profile individuals from the world of business and the arts. She appreciates the importance of discretion and making strong representations from the outset to minimise the risk of litigation.
Anna has extensive experience representing those being interviewed by the police whether detained or invited to attend a voluntary interview, and those accused of very serious offences. She is able to quickly understand the evidence and issues in a case, offering accurate and pragmatic advice. She also has experience representing young clients accused of very serious offences, as well as professionals, with a strong understanding of a client’s short- and long-term needs. Recognised in the Legal 500 as ‘having a keen eye for detail and a reassuring manner with clients’, Anna is diligent and meticulous in preparation at every stage, instilling trust, and confidence in those she represents.
Anna is a keen advocate, with experience conducting trials and legal arguments at the Magistrates’ Court, including those regarding sexual offences and drugs offences, as well as dishonesty offences, violent offences, and fraud offences.
Anna has also litigated a wide range of criminal cases at the Crown Court, including numerous complex cases regarding allegations of murder, historic sexual offences, sexual offences, dishonesty offences, sensitive child assault offences, firearms offences, and violent offences. She also has a strong background in cases that involve telephone analysis. Anna is quickly able to identify where expert evidence is required and assist in the defence. She has strong tactical ability in pre-trial preparation, praised by peers for her strong instincts.
Anna also has experience in representing vulnerable defendants. This includes those with mental health difficulties, those on the autistic spectrum and those with learning difficulties. She is very much alive as to whether any special measures could assist her clients, and has experience in making such applications where required.
- Significantly, Anna has instructed counsel in a case of serious sexual offence before the Lord Chief Justice, and this is now the leading authority in the approach to inconsistent verdicts [R and others (2016)]
- Anna represented a young defendant accused of serious drug offences. She took over this case during court proceedings. Following very detailed disclosure requests, defence investigation, and multiple experts instructed, the case was discontinued
- Anna has represented individuals where she has instructed experts on the issue of whether her client could form ‘intent’ to commit the offence as a result of their diagnosis of ADS, ADHD and learning difficulties
- Anna has been instructed in defence of a person accused of murder/robbery which involved a complex bad character application and the instruction of a ‘gang’ expert. The defendant was acquitted
- She has also been instructed by a person accused of Class A drugs importation, which was an ‘Encrochat’ case in which it was alleged that the defendant had links to the cartel
More about Anna
- Anna is a fluent Russian speaker