Ella is a solicitor in our Crime, Fraud and Regulatory team. She has an outstanding record representing clients throughout the criminal justice process and has built a very strong reputation as a criminal defence practitioner since qualifying in September 2017.
Ella is recommended in both Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners. In 2021, Chambers and Partners ranked Ella as an ‘Associate to Watch’, describing her as ‘an outstanding criminal solicitor’.
Ella’s diverse practice includes general crime, serious sexual offences, terrorism cases, youth crime and complex fraud and white-collar work, including insider dealing and bribery. In addition to her usual criminal practice, she also has experience in Inquest Law and International Law.
Across these practice areas, Ella has represented a broad spectrum of individuals; ranging from a Chief Executive accused of a multi-million-pound fraud, political dissidents and climate change activists to youths and alleged gang members and celebrities involved in violent, drug-related and sexual offences. She has acted for corporations as well as individuals in criminal and quasi-civil matters such as breach of court orders, reporting restrictions and Tree Preservation Orders. Ella has particular interest in representing vulnerable women in the criminal justice system and has represented women investigated and prosecuted for offences ranging from child neglect to terrorism.
Ella was awarded Rising Star of the Year at the Modern Law Awards 2022 in recognition of the breadth of her practice and her contributions to the wider community.
If you would like to make an enquiry you can call the crime team’s direct line number on +44 (0)20 7014 2020.
Education and career
- Ella graduated in 2012 from the University of Nottingham with an LLB in Law. Following this, she achieved a distinction on the Legal Practice Course at the University of Law.
- Before joining Bindmans, Ella worked in an International Law firm specialising in commercial and residential conveyancing, and then for a small legal aid firm specialising in criminal law.
- Ella mentors young BAME women about entry into the legal profession as part of the Centre for Women’s Justice’s Scheme for BAME women. She also acts as a panel lawyer for the Centre for Women’s Justice and provides regular legal updates for a number of organisations including the Youth Justice Legal Centre.
Ella’s cases include
General and White-Collar Crime
R v S
- Ella acted for a vulnerable woman accused of smuggling drugs and phones into prisons. The police investigation resulted in no charges being brought against the woman.
R v L
- Ella acted for a former gang member accused of conspiracy to commit murder. The defence involved the exposure of a sophisticated drug dealing operation across some of London’s most high security prisons. The defendant was acquitted.
R v Webb
- Ella acted for Queen Guitarist Brian May’s chauffeur in a historic sexual offence allegation. The defendant was acquitted. See more here.
R v A
- Ella acted for a former CEO of an Insurance company accused of Conspiracy to Defraud in one of the country’s largest ever private prosecutions.
R v T
- Ella acted for a young professional accused alongside six others of conspiring to defraud Transport for London. The defendant was acquitted.
In 2020, Ella was recommended by Legal 500 as the ‘name to note for protest work’ and is one of the department’s protest specialists. She has represented a number of clients associated with high profile groups, including Extinction Rebellion – for which Ella was recognised in The Times Best Law Firms guide – Black Lives Matter, Stop Killing London and the Youth movement Fridays for Future.
In another significant and high profile case, Ella represented Moosa Mohammed, a Bahraini protestor who was almost killed during an interaction with staff on the roof of the Bahrain Embassy in London. Read more here.
Ella works closely with Bindmans’ Partner Tayab Ali, on the firm’s international law practice. Their work includes:
Complaint to the United Nations Human Rights Committee (UNHRC) regarding Sri Lanka’s forced cremation policy
- Ella and Tayab represented the Muslim Council of Britain in a complaint to the UNHRC regarding a discriminatory policy of forced cremations adopted as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Saudi Arabia Fact Finding Panel (FFP)
- Ella and Tayab were two of the lawyers assisting a panel of cross-party British Members of Parliament who investigated and reported on the disappearance of two senior members of the Saudi Arabian Royal Family. The Report, published in December 2020, touched upon the disappearances of the Royals as well as the wider human rights abuses in the region.
Complaint to the UN Special Rapporteur
- Ella sent a complaint to the UN Special Rapporteur on the Protection of Freedom of Opinion and Expression regarding the censorship of Palestinian journalists.
EU-Egypt trade representations
- Ella and Tayab act for the Egyptian National Action Group (ENAG); a group of exiled former Egyptian parliamentarians, in connection with EU-Egypt trade negotiations. Read more here.
- Justice Alliance
- Solicitors Regulation Authority
- Amnesty International
- Young Fraud Lawyers Association
- English (mother tongue)
- Kurdish (Sorani) – Beginner
What clients say
Thank you so much for not giving up on me. I sought out Bindmans because of the reputation and you have further enhanced this.– Client
From the outset Ella Jefferson was sympathetic and understanding about my case, and we quickly established a rapport. She kept me informed throughout which was very reassuring. I was charged with obstructing the highway while attending a demonstration. Ella kept chasing the CPS until they responded; she convinced the CPS that it was not in the public interest to pursue the case and the case was withdrawn. She is now claiming costs on my behalf. I am very grateful for her expert help and would be more than happy to recommend Ella to anyone requiring legal advice in the future.– Client
From my first meeting with Ella she came across extremely professional and knowledgeable. Dealing with solicitors can be a very daunting process however, she listened and addressed all of my worries and concerns throughout. I have no doubt in my mind she is destined for much greater things within her chosen career path.– Client
Ella Jefferson is without question the finest solicitor I have personally worked with. She has consistently proven herself to be an energetic, diligent and compassionate lawyer who consistently exceeded my expectations as a client. When confronted with complex cases, she fights with tenacity and determination and invariably secures the best possible results. She also shows a responsiveness and concern for her clients’ needs and wellbeing which I have never experienced before. Ella will undoubtedly be my first choice as a solicitor for the foreseeable future.– Solicitor
Chambers and Partners 2023
- Ella is ranked as an ‘Associate to Watch’ in Crime. She is an associate with a growing reputation as a criminal defence practitioner. She advises on cases concerning violent offences as well as matters involving political protesters.
- “Ella pays attention to detail, provides strategic ideas about how to approach matters and is really engaged in her cases.”
- “She is very diligent, hard-working and personable.”
Chambers and Partners 2022
- Ella is ranked as an ‘Associate to Watch’ in Crime. She is described as “a superstar of the future.”
- “She has a really good keen strategic sense and thinks carefully about putting a brief together.”
- “Ella is fantastic – she’s super bright, really capable and punching above her level.”
Legal 500 2022
- Ella is described as “a really bright and talented future star.”