Our expert Employment Law team are highly experienced in providing timely and practical legal advice to businesses on a range of employment matters.
Employment law issues can escalate quickly becoming time-consuming and costly. We work with businesses across major industry sectors, drawing on our breadth of experience in all aspects of employment law, ensuring that all clients receive comprehensive and commercially minded advice.
Closely supporting our clients in all HR and employment law matters, our objective is to provide assurance and minimise exposure to the risk of claims, so employers can focus on running their business. Our Employment team can help employers to develop the right strategy to ensure legal compliance, and proactively resolve problems before they grow.
Our employment solicitors offer a full complement of employment law services for employers including:
- Company health checks to ensure policies & procedures are compliant with the latest developments in employment legislation and sector-specific regulation
- Advice on equality and diversity ensuring compliance with all aspects of anti-discrimination legislation
- Advice on producing disciplinary and grievance procedures, and procedures and the application of policies to specific staffing issues
- HR support service providing on-demand legal advice to HR departments and/or company directors and managers as issues arise for swift and strategic advice
- Company restructuring, including redundancy, employee consultation obligations restructuring, TUPE, variation of employment contracts
- Management of Employment Tribunal, Employment Appeal Tribunal and Supreme Court litigation
We are regularly relied upon by private and public companies, charities, partnerships, political parties, local authorities, NGOs and media organisations. Our employment lawyers have expertise in advising in all employment sectors, with a particular specialism in:
- Financial services
- Media organisations
We share our clients’ commitment and enthusiasm for their businesses. Our employment solicitors work in partnership with them to provide the best possible service, tailored to their needs and budget. We are sensitive to the reputational needs of our clients and when the need arises, we are able to liaise with our Media and Crisis Management teams to help control and assess the reputational significance of litigation decisions.
We have a comprehensive understanding of the impact that UK immigration law can have on employment matters, and we are well placed to advise companies, HR departments, employers and employees, in all industries and sectors, on how to best navigate the relevant immigration rules and regulations.
We are able to liaise with our colleagues in our Business Immigration team. Our business immigration experts advise on a range of matters, including:
- Right to Work requirements and checks/ Illegal worker prevention
- Long-term sponsorship visa routes
- Short-term work visa applications
- Global Mobility visas
- Advising individuals and their accompanying family members who are seeking to relocate to or extend their stay in the UK for work or business reasons
Data protection, cyber and GDPR advice
We provide practical tips and advice in relation to data protection and cybersecurity issues faced by HR professionals and employers both in the UK and internationally. The issues that we deal with include:
- Carrying out a full Data Protection Audit for your HR and other departments/business units
- Building a Privacy Governance Framework targeting HR and Pensions data
- Drafting Data Protection/Privacy Policies and aligning employment contracts
- Outsourcing data to suppliers and international data transfer issues
- Proactive and reactive cybersecurity and data breach advice, including insider threats
- Dealing with Data Subject Rights Requests, such as right to be forgotten and subject access requests (DSARs)
- Defending you from claims and complaints brought by ex-employees in respect of their data
- Guiding you through investigations by the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)
- Advising and assisting your Data Protection Officer (DPO)
If you require advice, contact our Employment team here, and we will refer you to our Data Protection specialists.
We provide in-house training to businesses in the UK.
Examples of training topics include:
- Performance management
- Sickness absence/disability discrimination
- Investigating and conducting disciplinaries/grievances
Contact the Employment team to discuss your needs.
To learn more about the key HR issues that employers may be grappling with listen to our new podcast series, let’s have a conversation about. This month we are discussing menopause.