Liz is a partner at Bindmans and joint Head of our Immigration, Asylum and Nationality team. She has a broad practice covering all aspects of immigration and is well known for her work with unaccompanied children and vulnerable clients and EEA law. Liz also has a Public Law practice.
She has acted in cases before the First Tier and Upper Tribunal; the Administrative Court, Court of Appeal and Court of Justice of the European Union.
Education and career
- Liz has a degree in history from Cambridge University.
- After some years working for Women’s Aid and a local authority Liz started her legal education studying her Common Professional Examination by distance learning with the College of Law and then her LPC which she gained with distinction.
- Liz trained at Bindmans LLP from 1998 – 2000.
- Liz worked for Mary Ward Legal Centre after qualification and rejoined Bindmans in 2001.
- In 2012 Liz was awarded the Legal Aid Lawyer of the Year Award in the immigration category.
- In 2015 Liz was appointed Partner and Joint Head of the Immigration Team in Bindmans LLP.
Liz’s cases include:
- R (on the application of SA) v Secretary of State for the Home Department  EWHC 1611 (Admin). in relation to the application of good character requirements for registration of children as British citizens;
- MA and BT v SSHD C-648/11 relating to the application of the Dublin Regulation to unaccompanied children which clarified the law in this area.
- Liz has also acted for the AIRE Centre in cases referred to the Court of Justice of the European Union.
What clients say
Throughout this process, the worry and frustration he experienced from not being able to work, combined with the financial strains placed upon him, were tempered by Ms Barratt’s commitment to his case and this gave us great comfort. Liz Barratt is truly an amazing immigration lawyer!– Alan Wong
Chambers and Partners 2023
- Liz is ranked Band 1 in Immigration: Human Rights, Asylum and Deportation. Feedback says she “is extremely experienced and very attentive to detail in complex nationality cases.”
- “Liz Barratt is co-head of the department and a go-to for complex matters involving nationality law and citizenship, particularly those involving SIAC. She has considerable experience handling asylum claims and third-country removals under the Dublin III regulation.”
- “Liz is absolutely fantastic. She is a great asset to the UK’s legal industry, especially in the immigration sector. She is a really strong and important voice and believes in the highest standard of client care and fairness.”
- Liz is also ranked Band 1 in Immigration: Personal. She is described as “an exceptionally intelligent solicitor with a comprehensive knowledge and understanding of immigration law. She is a top-notch legal brain.”
- “Joint head of department Liz Barratt maintains a strong personal immigration practice. She stands out for her command of Brexit-related issues and for her advice to EEA nationals.”
- “Liz is excellent with everything. She is very professional, kind-hearted and has great communication skills.”
Legal 500 2023
- Liz is recognised as a ‘Leading Individual’ in Immigration: Human Rights, Appeals and Overstays.
- “I have worked with Liz Barratt on multiple occasions. I personally rate Liz among the 5 best senior immigration lawyers in the whole of the UK. Her in-depth knowledge of immigration and human rights law, professionalism, transparency, empathy, and attention to detail stands her out among her peers.”
- “Liz Barratt permanently shines and is a superstar practitioner. Powerful intellect matched only by her personability and charm. She conducts the most difficult cases, including national security and closed material procedure cases. There really is no one like her.”
Chambers and Partners UK 2022
- Liz is ranked Band 1 in Immigration: Human Rights, Asylum and Deportation. Feedback describes her as “absolutely amazing.”
- “She is very experienced and has great legal knowledge. Nothing fazes her.”
- Liz is also ranked Band 1 in Immigration: Personal. Feedback describes her as “compassionate and committed to her clients.”
Legal 500 2022
- Liz is recognised as a ‘Leading Individual’ in Immigration: Human Rights, Appeals and Overstay. Feedback describes her as “a stalwart of the immigration world. Her reputation as one of the best is well deserved. She is both thorough and creative in her approach.”
- “Liz Barratt has a superb legal brain, and is totally committed to clients for whom she fights to the hilt. She has a particular focus on cases raising complex points of law but without losing sight of the needs of vulnerable clients (particularly clients who have suffered serious harm on grounds of gender or sexual orientation, adults suffering from mental illness, and vulnerable children).”
- “Liz Barratt is a total standout figure who has a searing academic brain tethered to an all-consuming work ethic. If anyone is going to win the impossible case she will: a miracle worker. Also an absolute delight to be around and work with.”
Chambers and Partners UK 2021
- Liz Barratt is ranked in Band 1 in both Immigration: Human Rights, Asylum and Deportation and Immigration: Personal in the 2021 guide.
- “She has a razor-sharp legal mind and an approachable style with clients.”
Legal 500 2021
- Liz Barratt is ranked as a ‘Leading Individual’ in the Immigration Legal 500 2021 guide.
- Feedback: Liz Barratt is super clever and very good tactically.
Chambers and Partners UK 2020
- Liz Barratt is ranked in Immigration: Human Rights, Asylum and Deportation (Band 1). Liz is a “leading immigration practitioner and a go-to for complex matters involving nationality law and citizenship, particularly those involving SIAC. Interviewees say: ‘She has a razor-sharp legal mind and an approachable style with clients.'”
Chambers and Partners UK 2019
- Liz Barratt has a well-rounded practice with knowledge of nationality issues, asylum and national security cases.
- Liz Barratt is ranked in Immigration: Human Rights, Asylum and Deportation (Band 1). “Liz is a heavyweight in the immigration world. She combines her steely intellect with a very approachable manner and is always a pleasure to work with.”
- Member of Immigration Law Practitioners’ Association (ILPA)
- Law Society IAAS Accredited Supervisor and Advanced Caseworker