Roberta is a partner in our Immigration, Asylum and Nationality team. She has been advising on immigration matters since 2007. She advises on all areas of immigration, asylum and nationality law.
Roberta has considerable in-depth experience with complex family-based applications and applications made on human rights grounds. Her broad practice includes advising partners, dependent relatives, and other family members on nationality and passport issues. Roberta has a particular interest in advising on asylum claims and applications made on physical or mental health grounds. She also acts on deportation cases, including applications to revoke deportation orders and on appeal.
Roberta also advises on business immigration, providing advice to both employees and businesses. She also regularly provides and post-Brexit advice on the EU Settlement Scheme.
Roberta is experienced in representing clients at the application stage and at appeal in the First Tier and Upper Tribunal and in the higher courts, including the Court of Appeal. She also regularly represents clients in judicial review proceedings. Roberta has also obtained significant damages on behalf of people unlawfully detained by the Home Office.
She provides expert reports on immigration matters for the family court and is regularly instructed by local authorities in relation to children in their care, advising on a range of issues including immigration and citizenship, along with trafficking issues.
Education and career
- Before entering the legal profession Roberta studied for a BA (Hons) in Social Anthropology and Development at the University of Sussex
- She passed her Graduate Diploma in Law and Legal Practice Course at the College of Law with distinction
- Roberta joined Bindmans in 2007 and qualified as a solicitor in March 2010
- Law Society IAAS Accredited Supervisor and Senior Caseworker
What clients say
Roberta Haslam is a most outstanding solicitor. Her knowledge of the relevant legislation and the technical aspects of her job is very thorough, but importantly she also possesses an incredibly caring and helpful manner of communicating with her clients and demonstrates exquisite sensitivity, thoughtfulness and care in her work– Bindmans LLP client
Chambers and Partners UK 2023
- Roberts is ranked Band 3 in Immigration: Human Rights, Asylum and Deportation. She is described as “a meticulous lawyer with a very human touch.”
- Roberta Haslam is experienced in a range of immigration issues and regularly appears for individuals seeking to challenge Home Office policy and decision-making. She is well known for her prowess in human rights and asylum cases, particularly those relating to Article 8 ECHR.
- “Roberta is a safe pair of hands. She acts in the best interest of vulnerable clients and helps support them through the immigration process.”
- “I am extremely impressed by Roberta’s knowledge, strategic thinking and organisation. She works at a high level.”
Legal 500 2023
- Roberta is recognised as a ‘Next Generation Partner’ in Immigration: Human Rights, Appeals and Overstay.
- “Roberta Haslam is one of few lawyers whom I met in my life with such vision and outstanding level of professionalism. Roberta was always positive and open in making sure that we put a very strong case to submit to the Home Office and she was constantly in contact with Home Office chasing the outcome and providing the feedback. She will always give the feedback even before I have asked. We have her name written in our hearts.”
Chambers and Partners UK 2022
- Roberta is ranked as a ‘Star Associate’ in Immigration: Human Rights, Asylum and Deportation. Feedback states “she has a very empathetic style and is very detailed in her preparation, achieving fantastic results.”
- “She has a real commitment to clients.”
Legal 500 2022
- Roberta is recognised as a ‘Rising Star’ in Immigration: Human Rights, Appeals and Overstay. Feedback describes her as “an incredibly humane and compassionate lawyer, whose clients adore her. Superb work marshalling factually complex cases for the most vulnerable clients, for whom she gets brilliant results.”
- “Roberta Haslam – with her empathetic style and extraordinarily detailed approach to case preparation, Roberta is particularly known for representing vulnerable clients in highly complex cases.”
Chambers and Partners UK 2021
- Roberta Haslam is ranked as a ‘Star Associate’ in Immigration: Human Rights, Asylum and Deportation. Roberta “is really excellent – very committed and empathetic with clients.”
Chambers and Partners UK 2020
- Roberta Haslam is ranked as a ‘Star Associate’ in Immigration: Human Rights, Asylum and Deportation. Roberta “has an eye for details and leaves no stone unturned in her preparation”.
- “She is especially lauded for her work with vulnerable clients including children.”
Chambers and Partners UK 2019
- Roberta Haslam is ranked as a ‘Star Associate’ in Immigration: Human Rights, Asylum and Deportation. She ‘has a very kind and approachable manner with a very analytical, detailed mind.’
- Roberta is a member of the Immigration Law Practitioners’ Association