Siobhan is a partner in the Clinical Negligence and Personal Injury team. Siobhan is passionate about helping vulnerable claimants recover compensation where they have sustained an injury or condition through no fault of their own, often with life changing and devastating consequences.
She has a wide range of experience of acting for claimants in cases involving serious injuries or death. Cases include brain injuries arising from medical treatment and road traffic accidents, mismanagement of vascular conditions and severe orthopaedic injuries. Siobhan also regularly acts for people who have been detained in immigration detention centres where the health care that they have received has caused their health to deteriorate often resulting in a catastrophic illness.
Siobhan is presently a trustee Headway North West London, her local brain injury charity who provide support and services to people who have suffered an acquired brain injury. She is also offers support to the London Irish Centre and sits on their Welfare Committee.
Siobhan is recognised in the industry as a leading clinical negligence and personal injury lawyer in Chambers & Partners and the Legal 500.
Education and career
- Siobhan graduted from the University of East Anglia in 1997 with an LLB (Hons)
- She then completed the LPC at the College of Law in 1998
- Siobhan qualified in 2001, and joined Bindmans LLP in 2003. She was made a partner in 2010.
Siobhan’s cases include:
- Siobhan’s cases are high value and often complex regularly touching on human rights and public law issues. She is currently acting in a number of cases which include brain injury, spinal injury injuries arising from compartment syndrome. She regularly acts for Claimants and bereaved families in cases involving asbestos related diseases such as Mesothelioma.
- Siobhan works closely with medical charities who challenge the standard of healthcare provided to immigration detainees. She handles many clinical negligence cases for detainees whose health may have suffered as a result of substandard healthcare provided during their detention often with devastating consequences.
- Her cases often involve interesting point of law. Recently Siobhan represented the brain injured child in the landmark case of Toropdar -v- D, where an insurance company was refused a negative declaration that it was not liable to a victim in a personal injury case. She went on to negotiate a settlement in excess of £4 million on a full liability basis.
- Other recent settlements include a settlement with a capitalised value of over £6.5 million for a young boy who sustained cerebral palsy at birth, £615,000.00 for a young girl as a result of negligent orthopaedic surgery, £550,000 for a man who suffered an above knee amputation as a result of negligent vascular surgery and £85,000 for Claimant who developed Mesothelioma as a result of exposure to asbestos during his employment.
What clients say
Siobhan Kelly became our personal injury solicitor at an extremely difficult time for us, when my wife and I were at our most vulnerable. From the beginning, we felt protected and reassured by her.
Thank you for all the years of working on my case and for all the hard work I know you put in. Thank you for bringing justice to myself and my children. This has meant a lot to me, I can now try to forget this accident and my children and I can go forward.
The Francis family would like to say a very big thank you for all your hard work. You are truly one in a million and we would not have made it if you had not worked so hard. We appreciate all that you have done, may God bless you.
I am delighted with the settlement you have achieved in my claim for medical negligence, and the way in which you went about it. Thank you for taking time at the end of a busy week to confirm the good news in writng. Ann and I will be drinking to your health and future success tonight…Your kindness, consideration, effectiveness and thoroughness have exceeded my best hopes.
You may already know that Siobhan has successfully settled the legal aspects of my medical negligence case against the Royal Berkshire Hospital to my complete satisfaction. I hope it will not embarass her if I copy you in on the note I have sent her. I would be grateful if you could advise whether it is possible for me to nominate her for one of the annual awards from the Law Society or similar.
This is also a good time to mention some other very positive things about your firm: everyone from receptionists to senior lawyers whom I have encountered at Bindmans has been kind, effiicient and supportive and your firm has given excellent service to three of my patients with human rights and immigration problems.
Chambers and Partners UK 2023
- Siobhan is ranked Bank 4 in Clinical Negligence: Mainly Claimant. She has substantial experience of handling brain injury and obstetric cases. She is also noted for her ability to provide counsel on matters involving complex liability issues.
- “Siobhan Kelly was extremely helpful in guiding me through the most complex case that I have ever been involved with.”
Chambers and Partners UK 2022
- Siobhan is ranked as Band 4 in Clinical Negligence: Mainly Claimant. She is described as “absolutely excellent in her attention to detail and will go the extra mile to be supportive for the clients.”
- “I was very touched with her warmth and sympathy, and from a litigation perspective she is tough.”
Chambers and Partners UK 2019
- Siobhan Kelly acts for claimants on an array of clinical negligence matters, including oncology, orthopaedic, gynaecological and neurological cases. She frequently handles cases involving complex issues of causation.
- Siobhan Kelly is ranked in Clinical Negligence: Mainly Claimant (Band 3). Her “knowledge, experience and sensitivity distinguish her.”
In 2016, the Personal Injury team were shortlisted for the Personal Injury Team of the Year Award at the Solicitors Journal Awards.
In October 2013 Siobhan was included in the Irish Post Legal 50 which recognised her legal contribution and achievements in Britain.
- Association of Victims of Medical Accidents
- Association of Personal Injury Lawyers
- Medical Justice Network