Skip to content
25 April 2022

Accident and injuries at work claims

This page will be updated with new information every Monday throughout this month, check back next week for the next installment.

Visit our Medical Mondays hub for more information

Employers have a responsibility to ensure that you have a safe place and system at work. We have a highly regarded track record in proving that employers are liable to pay compensation after accidents at work.

According to Health and safety statistics for Great Britain, 441,000 employees sustained a non-fatal injury whilst at work in 2020-21. Injuries at work can occur as a result of an accident or poor working practices. In all cases, an employer must ensure that you have a safe place to work.

What are the types of accidents and injuries that can occur in the workplace?

There are a range of workplace injuries that you are able to make a claim for, the types of injuries that can occur include:

  • Brain injury 
  • Orthopaedic injuries 
  • Exposure to harmful substances or environments
  • Muscle strains or sprains
  • Bruises, open cuts and wounds
  • Soft tissue injuries
  • Respiratory problems
  • Industrial deafness
  • Burns
  • Psychiatric injuries such as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

These injuries often arise from:

  • Falls from scaffolding, ladders or heights generally
  • Being hit by falling objects
  • Injuries caused by vehicles
  • Dangerous machinery
  • Defective work equipment
  • Unsafe working environments
  • Heavy lifting
  • Physical violence
What steps should you take after sustaining an injury whilst at work?

If you do have an accident at work and suffer an injury, you should first report the incident, following any accident at work procedure set out by your employer. Employers are legally required to maintain an accident book and you should ensure that what happened is accurately and fully recorded within your employer’s accident book. If you require medical assistance, it is always recommended to seek this as soon as possible, depending on the severity of your injuries. If you do seek medical attention, it may be helpful to keep a note of where you went (for example what hospital you attended), what you were diagnosed with, and any treatment or prescriptions you were given.

Your employer has a duty to report the accident to the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) through a RIDDOR report if the injury means that you were taken straight to hospital for treatment. Similarly, if the accident means that you are away from work for more than seven consecutive days the accident must be reported to the HSE. 
Depending on the circumstances of the accident, the seriousness of your injury, and the practicality of doing so, it is helpful to try to gather information about what happened as soon as possible. This can include taking steps such as taking photographs of any dangerous or faulty equipment where the accident occurred, or obtaining contact details of any witnesses who may have been present.

In the longer term, it can be helpful to keep a record of how your injuries develop; what symptoms you have and for how long they last, any treatment you receive or medication you are prescribed, and any impact that your injuries have on you. If your injuries cause you to lose income, or incur additional expenditure which you would not otherwise have had to pay, such as prescription charges, or travel expenses, it can also be helpful to keep a record of this information. You may be entitled to Industries Injuries Disablement Benefit as well as other welfare benefits if you are unable to return to work because of an accident at work. 

If you have sustained an accident or injury at work and you wish to discuss the nature of your circumstances in respect of bringing a personal injury claim, then please do not hesitate to contact us on 020 7833 4433 or submit an enquiry form here.

How can you claim for an accident at work? (including time limits)

In order to bring a claim for compensation following an accident at work, you have to show that:

  1. Your employer owed you a duty of care;
  2. Your employer breached that duty;
  3. You were injured as a result of the breach; and
  4. You suffered a loss.

Your employer has a legal duty to keep you safe at work, which includes providing a safe work place, and safe systems of work. Your employer should also have insurance to cover claims for accidents where someone is injured as a result of their fault or negligence. Some of our clients worry about bringing a claim against their employer. We are sensitive to concerns you may have about bringing a claim against your employer, and appreciate how important it is to safeguard your job so that, if you are able to, you may return to work following your accident.

Personal injury claims, including those arising from accidents at work, are subject to a limitation period of three years within which you can bring a claim. The three years typically begins to run from the date of the accident. The rules differ if you sustain a very serious injury and lose capacity to litigate.  If a friend or family member has died as a result of an accident at work, the three year time limit will normally begin running from the date of death.

Find out more

If you or a family member has been involved in an accident at work and wish to discuss potentially bringing a claim, please do not hesitate to contact us on 020 7833 4433, or submit an enquiry form here.

Our personal injury solicitors are able to work with you to have the best possible quality of life following your accident, whilst ensuring you are properly compensated when things don’t work out the way you had planned.

How can we help you?

We are here to help. If you have any questions for us, please get in touch below.