Employers are often required to investigate grievances or conduct disciplinary investigations and hearings. Our Employment team are able to advise employers on whether their Disciplinary and Grievance procedures are compliant with employment legislation and best practice protocols.
All employers should have procedures that are easy to follow and comply with the ACAS Code of Practice. An employer must apply the procedure in a fair and reasonable way, which will often differ depending on the situation.
Our expert employment solicitors are able to provide guidance to employers on the application of policies to help ensure a fair grievance or disciplinary procedure as this is the best way to ensure healthy relationships within a workforce and to avoid potential Employment Tribunal claims.
We are able to assist employers by:
- Drafting policy documents (to include Disciplinary and Grievance procedures)
- Providing training to employers on the best application of existing disciplinary and grievance policies
- Advising employers on how to improve existing disciplinary and grievance procedures
- Advising on individual circumstances involving specific difficult issues such as but not limited to long-term sickness, allegations of discrimination or bias, holiday pay, salary and deductions, dismissal claims and flexible working applications
- Providing independent adjudication concerning disciplinary hearings, grievance hearings or appeals
Seeking legal advice at the earliest opportunity can help to avoid significant legal pitfalls and mean that our team can advise you on the best strategy from the start.