Mark Ovenell is a partner in our Commercial Litigation team. He has a wealth of experience in commercial dispute resolution, including alternative dispute resolution, together with experience of professional negligence claims.
Mark handles varied, complex and often high-value disputes for individuals and companies across different industries, with particular expertise in the banking and financial institution sector.
Mark advises clients at all stages of disputes, from strategy formulation and challenge avoidance, through to implementation and, if necessary, eventual proceedings. He also advises clients on alternative methods of dispute resolution, having taken part in many mediations.
Mark has acted for many individual and corporate clients over the past 20 years in assisting them in both bringing and defending litigation claims. Such claims have ranged from debt recovery disputes to contract disputes and claims in tort. He also has experience in the enforcement of judgments, including issuing bankruptcy and winding up petitions, where necessary and possession claims. Mark aims to provide clients with clear, cost-conscious advice in relation to bringing or defending those claims.
Mark has also acted for both individual and corporate clients in professional negligence claims, often acting for the claimants in those matters. Mark is able to advise clients on all aspects of these types of claims, including funding issues and alternative dispute resolution to ensure the client reaches the best resolution possible.
Education and career
- Mark studied an LLB Law (Hons) degree at the University of Leicester, graduating in 1995, before completing the Legal Practice Course (LPC) with commendation from DeMontfort University, Leicester in 1996Between 1997 and 2000, Mark worked as a paralegal at a number of international law firms
- He became a trainee solicitor in 2000, before qualifying as a solicitor in 2002
- Since 2002 Mark has worked in Commercial Litigation teams at several firms in London and the South-East
- In 2022, Mark joined Bindmans LLP as a partner
- Acting on behalf of three defendant companies in connection with a public interest winding up petition which was presented by the Secretary of State and involved a 5-day hearing at the High Court
- Acting for a lender client in numerous mortgage possession claims and other disputes
- Acting in a two-year dispute ending with a successful 3-day County Court trial in relation to the recovery of late payment interest and compensation owed to a consultant solicitor by his former employers
- Issuing and defending both statutory demands and winding up petitions in relation on behalf of creditor/debtor clients.
- Claims in relation to both corporate and personal guarantees, including the enforcement of charges by way of possession and other commercial proceeding, such as Issuing both statutory demands and winding up petitions, together with other debt recovery options.
- Cases have involved acting for a number of different claimants in relation to the claims below:
- Acted for an individual in a claim against two former firms of solicitors, for breach of trust, misappropriation of funds, unauthorised withdrawal of funds. The claims included issues relating to insurance coverage and successor practice issues
- Acted for an individual in a claim against solicitors for their failure in a possession claim
- Acted for an individual in a claim against solicitors in relation to a property transaction where monies were paid to fraudsters
- Acting for a couple against their former solicitors in relation to negligent property advice. This included organising and attending a mediation in order to reach a settlement
- Acting for an individual in a claim against his former solicitors for their failure to act on his behalf in bankruptcy proceedings.